Jobs & Volunteer
Town of Sherman
Part Time Social Services Assistant
The Sherman Board of Selectmen and Sherman Social Services is seeking a part time Social Services Assistant to support the Director in a variety of confidential social services activities. This is a 20 hour per week position. Call Beth Trott at 860-354-2414, ext 2 with questions. Interested applicants should submit resumes to the Director of Social Services by June 26, 2020. Mallory Town Hall, P.O. Box 39,
9 Route 39 North, Sherman, CT 06784.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Town of Sherman Job Description
Job Title: Social Services Assistant
Immediate supervisor: Director, Sherman Social Services
This is a 20-hour per week, part-time position. The assistant will support the Director in a variety of confidential social service activities, including, but not limited, to the following:
1) Administer the M25 Hot Meals program, which includes maintaining and supervising volunteer delivery staff, and act as liaison with IGA and M25 Board.
2) Assist with processing Energy Assistance applications, making multiple copies, and gathering confidential documents from clients.
3) Assist in various programs, including the annual Thanksgiving Baskets, Spring Baskets, Holiday Gift Drive and Back to School and summer food programs.
4) Record keeping duties including adding charitable gifts to Charity Tracker, our confidential software program.
5) Actively intake social service walk-in clients as needed. Answer phones and refer clients, where applicable.
6) File documents and organize the office.
NOTE: Emphasis for prospective candidates is the ability to maintain STRICT confidentiality and understand that confidentiality requires COMPLETE prohibition against discussing any aspect of the social work office with anyone.
Knowledge and skill:
1) High school diploma required, some college preferred.
2) Office skills, in particular, word processing and Excel.
3) 1 to 3 years related experience
4) Valid Driver’s license.
5) Ability to work effectively and confidentially with different personalities and physical needs.
1) The general public
2) Town officials
3) State and local agencies, such as United Way and local churches.
Level of responsibility:
1) Duties are varied in nature, requiring independent action and judgement in solving organizational problems. Devotion to client confidentiality is paramount. Unusual cases or questionable matters are referred to the Director.
General office work environment.
TOWN OF SHERMAN
PART-TIME SEASONAL POSITION AVAILABLE
PARKS & RECREATION MAINTENANCE
Applications are being accepted for a part-time seasonal position as Parks & Recreation Maintainer, with work commencing on July 1, 2020. This position is expected to be 20 to 25 hours per week for 30 weeks. The seasonal position involves maintenance, upkeep and monitoring of playing fields, the beach, and Parks & Recreation facilities. The successful applicant must be skilled in the use of small power equipment and provide his/her own vehicle. The position pays $18.00/hour with no benefits.
Interested applicants should contact the Selectmen’s Office at (860) 355-1139 for more information and job application. Application deadline: June 23, 2020 at 2:00 p.m.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Town of Sherman, CT has the following openings for positions on town commissions, or positions for employment within the town.
Sherman Volunteer Fire Department
Sherman Traffic Safety Work Group
A vacancy exists on the Sherman Traffic Safety Work Group (STSWG). Interested applicants should contact any of the members of the STSWG, or let us know via email at ShermanTrafficSafety@gmail.com.
Zoning Board of Appeals
One vacancy exists on the Zoning Board of Appeals. Interested applicants should contact the Board Administrative Assistant, Christine Branson, at 860-355-3127 or email at PlanZone@townofshermanct.org.
Planning & Zoning Commission
One Alternate vacancy exists on the Planning & Zoning Commission. Interested applicants should contact the Commission Administrative Assistant, Christine Branson, at 860-355-3127 or email at PlanZone@townofshermanct.org.
Inland Wetlands Commissi
Two vacancies exists on the Inland Wetlands Commission. Interested applicants should contact the Commission Clerk, Trish Viola, at 355-0166
Two vacancies exist on the Conservation Commission. Interested applicants should contact First Selectman Don Lowe at 860-355-1139.
Sherman Telecommunications Committee
A vacancy exists on the Sherman Telecommunications Committee. Interested applicants should contact Committee Chair Gail Maletz at firstname.lastname@example.org