The mission of the Sherman Conservation Commission is to protect the natural environment of Sherman and all of its resources. The commission's statutory obligation is to make environmental impact reports on proposed subdivisions, which will be submitted to the Sherman Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Working with the Sherman Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Commission to protect local surface and subsurface water resources.
- Educating ourselves as Commissioners about conservation principles and best practices, thereby enabling the Commission to be a reliable source of accurate and up to date information for applicants and residents.
- Working with the Planning and Zoning Commission to strengthen the Sherman zoning code to preserve and protect open space, prime farmland, ridgelines, scenic vistas/sites and historical areas.
- Educating the general public about environmental threats to native species and their associated habitats; the challenge posed by invasive species; the importance of preserving our agricultural heritage and viable local farming, and the health of the overall environment.
- Periodically reviewing and updating the town's Natural Resource Inventory and compiling an inventory of town open space resources and creating a plan for their management.
Mallory Town Hall
9 Rt 39 North
P.O. Box 39
Sherman, Connecticut 06784
Conservation Commission Members
William McCann, Commission Chairperson
Patricia Bailey, Commission Vice Chairperson
Joanna Wozniak-Brown, Commissioner
Mike LaVia, Commissioner
Colette Shulman, Commissioner
John Foley, Commissioner
Christine Branson, Clerk
Description of Services
Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00 PM at Mallory Town Hall.
2005 Natural Resources Inventory
The Conservation Commission will be working on revising the Sherman Natural Resources Inventory over the next several months and thought it would be helpful for the Public to have the opportunity to view the existing document and add any input that they feel might be helpful. Please note that the inventory is in two parts.
Natural Resources Inventory Part 1
Natural Resources Inventory Part 2
Land Use Commissions Information Sheet
Land Use Information Sheet