The mission of the Sherman Conservation Commission is to protect the natural environment of Sherman and all of its resources. The commission's statutory obligation is to make environmental impact reports on proposed subdivisions, which will be submitted to the Sherman Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Working with the Sherman Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Commission to protect local surface and subsurface water resources.
- Educating ourselves as Commissioners about conservation principles and best practices, thereby enabling the Commission to be a reliable source of accurate and up to date information for applicants and residents.
- Working with the Planning and Zoning Commission to strengthen the Sherman zoning code to preserve and protect open space, prime farmland, ridgelines, scenic vistas/sites and historical areas.
- Educating the general public about environmental threats to native species and their associated habitats; the challenge posed by invasive species; the importance of preserving our agricultural heritage and viable local farming, and the health of the overall environment.
- Periodically reviewing and updating the town's Natural Resource Inventory and compiling an inventory of town open space resources and creating a plan for their management.
Mallory Town Hall
9 Rt 39 North
P.O. Box 39
Sherman, Connecticut 06784
Conservation Commission Members
William McCann, Commission Chairperson
Patricia Bailey, Commission Vice Chairperson
Mike LaVia, Commissioner
Colette Shulman, Commissioner
Rolf Martin, Commissioner
Michele McKinnon, Commissioner
Christine Branson, Clerk
* There two are vacancies on this Commission
The Conservation Commission holds their meetings on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00 PM at Mallory Town Hall. The dates for 2020 are as folows:
January 13, 2021
February 10, 2021
March 10, 2021
April 14, 2021
May 12, 2021
June 9, 2021
August 11, 2021
September 8, 2021
October 13, 2021
November 10, 2021December 8, 2021
2018 Natural Resources Inventory
The Conservation Commission has recently completed the Sherman Natural Resources Inventory Report and Recommendations . Below is a link to the report and printed copies are available in the Planning & Zoning Office for $10.00.
2018 Natural Resource Inventory Report and Recommendations
Land Use Commissions Information Sheet
Land Use Information
Resolution of the Town of Sherman Conservation Commission